Thursday, November 15, 2018

VaYetze - And He Left 3

This coming Shabbat Parshah (Weekly Portion)  {11/17/2018}

"VAYETZE" (AND HE LEFT)
Haftorah (Prophets):  Hosea 12:12-14:9
Jacob fled to the territory of Aram.
Israel worked to earn a wife;
he tended flocks for a wife.
YHWH brought Israel from Egypt by a prophet,
and Israel was tended by a prophet.
Ephraim has provoked bitter anger,
so his Lord will leave his bloodguilt on him
and repay him for his contempt.
When Ephraim spoke, there was trembling;
he was exalted in Israel.
But he incurred guilt through Baal and died.
Now they continue to sin
and make themselves a cast image,
idols skillfully made from their silver,
all of them the work of craftsmen.
People say about them,
Let the men who sacrifice kiss the calves.
Therefore, they will be like the morning mist,
like the early dew that vanishes,
like chaff blown from a threshing floor,
or like smoke from a window.
I have been YHWH your God
ever since the land of Egypt;
you know no God but me,
and no Savior exists besides me.
I knew you in the wilderness,
in the land of drought.
When they had pasture,
they became satisfied;
they were satisfied,
and their hearts became proud.
Therefore they forgot me.
So I will be like a lion to them;
I will lurk like a leopard on the path.
I will attack them
like a bear robbed of her cubs
and tear open the rib cage over their hearts.
I will devour them there like a lioness,
like a wild beast that would rip them open.
I will destroy you, Israel;
you have no help but me.
Where now is your king,
that he may save you in all your cities,
and the rulers you demanded, saying,
Give me a king and leaders”?
I give you a king in my anger
and take away a king in my wrath.
Ephraim’s guilt is preserved;
his sin is stored up.
Labor pains come on him.
He is not a wise son;
when the time comes,
he will not be born.
I will ransom them from the power of Sheol.
I will redeem them from death.
Death, where are your barbs?
Sheol, where is your sting?
Compassion is hidden from my eyes.
Although he flourishes among his brothers,
an east wind will come,
a wind from YHWH rising up from the desert.
His water source will fail,
and his spring will run dry.
The wind will plunder the treasury
of every precious item.
Samaria will bear her guilt
because she has rebelled against her God.
They will fall by the sword;
their children will be dashed to pieces,
and their pregnant women ripped open.
Israel, return to YHWH your God,
for you have stumbled in your iniquity.
Take words of repentance with you
and return to YHWH.
Say to him: “Forgive all our iniquity
and accept what is good,
so that we may repay you
with praise from our lips.
Assyria will not save us,
we will not ride on horses,
and we will no longer proclaim, ‘Our gods!’ 
to the work of our hands.
For the fatherless receives compassion in you.”
I will heal their apostasy;
I will freely love them,
for my anger will have turned from him.
I will be like the dew to Israel;
he will blossom like the lily
and take root like the cedars of Lebanon.
His new branches will spread,
and his splendor will be like the olive tree,
his fragrance, like the forest of Lebanon.
The people will return and live beneath his shade.
They will grow grain
and blossom like the vine.
His renown will be like the wine of Lebanon.
Ephraim, why should I have anything more
to do with idols?
It is I who answer and watch over him.
I am like a flourishing pine tree;
your fruit comes from me.
Let whoever is wise understand these things,
and whoever is insightful recognize them.
For the ways of YHWH are right,
and the righteous walk in them,
but the rebellious stumble in them.
#Parsha
#Shabbat
#Sabbath
#VaYetze

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for entering this discussion :)